HELENA LIONS CLUB
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
April 17, 2017
The following Lions were in attendance: Dan Sturdevant; John Padden; Bill Gowen; Scott Cromwell; Brian Zins; and Byron Beley.
Lion President Dan Sturdevant called the meeting to order at 12:00 noon.
Minutes of the previous meeting: Minutes of the March 20th, 2017 board meeting was reviewed as emailed out. Lion Zins made the motion to approve the minutes as emailed. The motion was seconded by Lion Cromwell. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Lion Treasurer Gowen reported the balances in the three bank accounts. A report was distributed reflecting those balances. The final profit on the fruit was reported including a late deposit. The baseball team sponsorship has been paid.
Secretaries Report: Lion Secretary Beley reported that Lion Tobi Leides has notified the club she has become too busy with other obligations and has withdrawn as a member of the Lions Club. New member Kelly Harris needs to be officially installed.
- Officer nominating committee: Lions Sturdevant & Beley are on this committee. Still working on trying to fill positions for the upcoming year.
- Lions Berry, Cromwell, & Vincent will review the Lions books in the next 1-2 months.
- Car Show: Lion President Sturdevant is the chairperson of this event.
- Lion Beley reported that Perkin’s restaurant is having a Service Safe Food class and test, and has offered to allow our Lions Club to have members attend to get certified. The class will be held week of May 22nd on a day yet to be determined.
- Scholarship Committee: Lions Stanaway & Stephens report applications are coming in and winners will be announced by the first part of May.
- Candy Sales: Lions Hintz & Berry report candy sale is progressing.
- Melvin Jones Fellowship Committee: Lions Zins & Gowen announced the committee has selected a candidate for this year.
- Club Meeting Place Update: Lion President Sturdevant reported that effective April 25th we will be meeting at Chili’s (2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month). We will continue meeting at Jorgenson’s on the 1st Tuesday of the month.
UPCOMING EVENTS: (Information only-does not need to be discussed at meeting)
- Candy Sales: Ongoing in April/May
- Sunshine Camp cleanup: June date yet to be determined.
- Officer installation Dinner: June 20th.
- Helena Car Show/Drag Races: June 24th-25th, 2017
- Lewis and Clark Stampede: July 26th-29th, 2017
- Lions Night at The Ballpark: August 15th, 2017
Lions Website: Lion Aric Curtiss absent, report attached.
Lions Club Publicity Program: No report
1st V.P. Report: Lion Gary White: absent, no report.
2nd V.P. Report: Open
3rd V.P. Report: Open
Program Chairman: Lion Teresa Ortega
- April 4th: David Smith, CEO of YMCA, and Kyle Kallin, Helena Lions Club head coach
- April 11th: Liz Moore, Montana Nonprofit Association
- April 25th: No Speaker
Membership/Membership Retention Report: None
- Sunshine Camp: Contractor has been hired to install the Lions’ water fountain. Camp director, Lion Vicki Curtiss, is also having contractor look at other projects to get an idea of costs.
- The Lions Foundation has offered to donate money to update the Sunshine Camp Rec Hall building. Lion Sturdevant will check into getting a cost estimate so we know what we are looking at. No update at this meeting.
- Strategic Meeting: Lion President Sturdevant to set date.
- Mt. Television Network: Lion Berry checking into option of MTN modernizing our website. No report as Lion Berry was absent.
- Food Trailer Generator: Discussion held on how unreliable the generator continues to be despite having it worked on numerous times. A motion was made by Lion Zins and seconded by Lion Cromwell to buy a new generator. Motion carried.
- Helena Lions Swim Team: Discussion was held on our annual donation to the swim team. Previously, it has been $xxxx. Given the fact they continue to struggle with funding and could use additional assistance at this time a motion was made by Lion Gowen and seconded by Lion Zins to donate $xxxx this year. Motion carried.
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 1:00 p.m.
Lion Secretary Byron Beley
[edited for web-posting AC]